Monday, May 7, 2018

Basilica Saint Sernin (A Little Late)

I am writing this post later than the rest of my class, due to some technological issues with being able to log into the blog. So, here I am at last!

We have safely made it to Europe!  Our first stop was in Toulouse, France where we spent a few days exploring the beautiful city and pilgrim sites within it.  My favorite place that we went was the Basilica Saint Sernin.  It was built to honor the first bishop and martyr of Toulouse.  It quickly became a stopping point for pilgrims on the camino de Santiago.  In the mid 19th century, restoration projects of the basilica began, leaving it absolutely beautiful.  The basilica is still being used regularly today.

I absolutely loved this place.  I was completely in awe as we walked up to it, and fell into a deeper and deeper reverence the longer we were there.  The art work, reliquaries, chapels, organ, and much more completely blew me away.  While we were there, a priest and a few nuns began to have a mass which was very cool to listen to.  I didn't understand the language, but I was able to recognize the different parts of the mass.  It was a wonderful experience to be hearing a mass while exploring the beautiful space.


No comments:

Post a Comment