Our last stop in France before crossing into Spain was Saint Jean Pied de Port. This town is full of many shops and restaurants, but most importantly it is a significant point in the journey along the Camino. Saint Jean Pied de Port is a frequent stop for pilgrims to start from when traveling Santiago de Compostela. It is still a walled town, and features several gates important to the pilgrimage. The name Saint Jean Pied de Port translates into "Saint John at the foot of the mountain pass", which makes sense considering the town is nestled at the foot of the Pyrenees Mountains. The shops and walls of the town are filled with images of the shell that is used to direct travelers along the Way.
I loved this cute little town, and all of the shops that we were able to visit. One of the first places we went into was ironically a shoe store, where I bought some nice French version Converse. I also personally enjoyed the bridge in Saint Jean Pied de Port, just before one of the gates. The picture below is of the view from that very bridge.

No comments:
Post a Comment