Monday, May 21, 2018

Goodbye For Now Carcassonne

Ever since I was a little girl I’ve been obsessed with all things Disney Princesses especially Cinderella! The thought of living in a castle and wearing big ballroom dresses all the time excited me! I lived for fairytales and even as a 20 year old I still love fairytales so getting to stay inside the walls of a castle was beyond exciting for me. My dreams of being in a castle came true and I loved every minute of it. From the cute little shops that contained handmade trinkets to the food square where you could just sit, eat, and people watch all day, I fell in love with Carcassonne!



The castle looks like it came straight out of a Disney princess movie and that is all thanks to Eugene Violet-le-Duc and his pupil, Paul Boeswillwald who restored the city from 1853 - 1911. The restoration gave the city back its original splendor and it became one of the most iconic Medieval cities out there because of its pointed slate roofs. It was even inscribed on UNESCO’s World Heritage list in 1997.




Walking through the castle in Carcassonne was by far my favorite part because you got to walk through the castle and along the walls just like the people would have done when the castle was being lived in. Also, the view from the castle was spectacular, I can’t imagine waking up and looking out the window to see that everyday because with the castle being on a hill you get a view of the city out pretty much every window you looked through. The whole experience made me feel as though I was living in a fairytale. Someday I’ll go back to Carcassonne and continue to live out my dream of living in a castle and being a princess but for now I’ll relive in my head, the short time I spent feeling like a princess in the city of Carcassonne! 🇫🇷🏰❤️

No comments:

Post a Comment