I know what you’re thinking, why would there ever be chickens in a church?! Well, first off these chickens are not ordinary chickens, they are holy ones. That’s right, holy. The story goes:
That a family was on the Santiago pilgrimage and stopped at Santo Domingo de la Calzada, where the inn keepers daughter fell in love with the son in the family. He however, did not have mutual feelings. So the princess decided to steal silver from the church and frame the son. He was hung for the crime and the family continued on with the journey.
Once the family arrived back at the village to take their sons body they noticed he was talking away to people!! It was a miracle, the family went to the king and asked for their son to be let down. They said he was hanged innocent and that this was a miracle. The king replied, “if this cooked chicken I am eating comes back to life then I will believe you and let your son go.” Just like that, the chicken turned back into a complete and living creature and the son was let free.
The decedents of the chicken that came back to life can now be found in the sanctuary of the church and at the local pilgrim refugee.
I love to hear stories, and after hearing this one from my professor I was excited to see the chickens. It is not every day you get to see chickens in a sanctuary!
Funny story:
Like all sanctuary’s it is very quiet and peaceful. My classmate and I were wondering around taking pictures, looking at the beautiful art work and of course trying to find the chickens. What we weren’t expecting was to hear a loud rooster crow while walking around. Did we ever hit the floor fast out of fear. Both of us hugging each other and letting out a scream, trying to figure out what just happened. You don’t expect to hear any loud noises and we definitely did not think about the chickens making any! I would image the locals got a kick out of watching us have a minor meltdown over a rooster crowing!! Stay tuned for more adventures...
~ Alyssa

No comments:
Post a Comment