Saturday, May 19, 2018

The "Final" Pitstop on the Camino

No matter what route a pilgrim takes along the Camino, all directions are heading towards Santiago de Compostela. This point in the pilgrimage is sort of the final destination of sorts, even though there are still more places to go. Santiago is the location of the burial of Saint James' remains, and the purpose of the pilgrimage for many who walk the Way.



My personal favorite stop we made in Santiago was at the pilgrim museum itself. I found it very interesting that this pilgrimage is so important that there is a whole museum dedicated to preserving and documenting it. I enjoyed being able to see all the things that we've learned about, such as the many depictions of Saint James on his horse, as the "moor slayer". Another aspect I enjoyed was the comparison between the appearance of pilgrims years ago to those traveling today. It was almost comical to see an image of the clothing and supplies that pilgrims wore and traveled with back then right next to modern day bright flashy athletic clothing and gear.



No comments:

Post a Comment