Monday, May 14, 2018

The León Catedral and I

The León Cathedral and I connected from the beginning. From the stained glass to the extravagant altar pieces I was blown away as soon as I stepped in the building. The stained windows are all so ornate and depict different scenes from the Bible based on which chapel area they are in. My personal favorite stained glass windows are the three rose windows located on the main facade as well as the northern and southern facades. 

Northern: 

Southern: 

While we were there the main facade rose was under restoration but I got to see a glimpse of it from inside the Catedral and it was by far my favorite of the three. After reading the magazine on the Catedral that they gave us I found out that the window is a lot more than just beautiful. They designed it so that the rays of the sunset hit the different parts at the right time. The first rays enter through the panels that depict “The Tree of Jesse” and the whole window finishes lighting up in the afternoon when the Virgin Mary is finally illuminated. With the Virgin Mary being the main figure of every cathedral they found it fitting for that panel to be the last to light up. They consider this stained glass window to be the heart of León because it is at the highest point in the city and at the top of the Catedral which was the first religious place to be declared a national monument in Spain. Overall, this was probably my favorite place that we visited so far because stained glass windows are a weakened of mine! 

No comments:

Post a Comment